The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
20 Years of MoPOP: 185,000+ Memberships Since 2000
To celebrate 20 years of the Museum of Pop Culture, we're highlighting 20 of the most notable moments from MoPOP's history. For our nonprofit museum's 20th and final (for now!) milestone (see the first 19 milestones at the bottom of this blog!), we're putting the focus on those whose support helps us most: MoPOP members.
Since we opened our doors in 2000, we’ve been embraced by our community in Seattle and the Pacific Northwest, as well as across the United States and the world. From 2000 to 2020, we’ve facilitated more than 185,000 new and renewed memberships. We’ve made it this far because of our vibrant and passionate community and we look forward to exploring pop culture with y’all for another 20 and beyond!
But before we wrap up our '20 Years of MoPOP' milestone series, let's hear from a few of our members on what our nonprofit museum means to them:
Get To Know MoPOP Members:
- Jeff Robin
- Puskar Naha & Melissa Orstrom
- Brenda Donner
- Glen Beebe
- Myles & Hannah Marcus
- Meghan Storms
- Leslie & Trevor Moon
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Artifact - Jimi Hendrix's Mixing Console
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Oral History - Al Hendrix
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Exhibition - Strats, Studios and the Seattle Sound
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Experience Music Project Launches With Weekend of Concert Festivities
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Sound Lab Inspires Visitors to Find Their Inner Musician
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Launch of Sound Off!
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Pop Conference Engages Music Community
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our First Traveling Exhibition - Artist to Icon: Early Photographs of Elvis, Dylan, and the Beatles
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Yes Yes Y'all Documents Hip-Hop's First Decade
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame Launches
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Youth Advisory Board Influences Teen Programming
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Founders Award' Benefit Event Celebrates Game-Changing Artists
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses Exhibition Launches in 2011
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Can't Look Away: The Lure of Horror Film Signals First Foray Outside Music + Sci-Fi
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Residency Provides Youth Development Through Hip Hop
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Name Change to Museum of Pop Culture
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Creating a New Mission and Core Values
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Achieving LEED Gold Certification
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our 100th Exhibition - Body of Work: Tattoo Culture
Learn more about MoPOP membership + for contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation to MoPOP today!