The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
20 Years of MoPOP: 'Can't Look Away: The Lure of Horror Film' Signals First Foray Outside Music + Sci-Fi
To celebrate 20 years of the Museum of Pop Culture, we're highlighting 20 of the most notable moments from MoPOP's history. For our nonprofit museum's 14th milestone (see the first 13 milestones at the bottom of this blog!), we're putting the focus on the 2011 launch of Can't Look Away: The Lure of Horror Film, our museum's first focus outside of music and science fiction.
2011: Our first foray beyond music and sci-fi, Can’t Look Away: The Lure of Horror Film not only scared and thrilled our visitors, but signified a bigger change in the direction of the museum, toward a focus on the broader world of pop culture. In 2017, we launched our second horror exhibition, Scared to Death: The Thrill of Horror Film, which examines the pivotal role that horror plays in the human experience, and features guest curators, Roger Corman, Roxanne Benjamin, Eli Roth, Karyn Kusama, and John Landis.
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Artifact - Jimi Hendrix's Mixing Console
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Oral History - Al Hendrix
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Exhibition - 'Strats, Studios and the Seattle Sound'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Experience Music Project Launches With Weekend of Concert Festivities
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Sound Lab' Inspires Visitors to Find Their Inner Musician
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Launch of Sound Off!
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Pop Conference Engages Music Community
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our First Traveling Exhibition - 'Artist to Icon: Early Photographs of Elvis, Dylan, and the Beatles'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Yes Yes Y'all' Documents Hip-Hop's First Decade
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame Launches
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Youth Advisory Board Influences Teen Programming
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Founders Award' Benefit Event Celebrates Game-Changing Artists
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses' Exhibition Launches in 2011
Learn more about Scared to Death: The Thrill of Horror Film + for contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation or planning a visit to MoPOP today!