The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
20 Years of MoPOP: Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame Launches
To celebrate 20 years of the Museum of Pop Culture, we're highlighting 20 of the most notable moments from MoPOP's history. For our nonprofit museum's 10th milestone (see the first nine milestones at the bottom of this blog!), we're spotlighting the 2003 launch of our Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame, which has since transformed into our Science Fiction and Fantasy Hall of Fame.
2003: Exploring a different side of pop culture from the music-focused Experience Music Project, the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame launched in the south side of our building. Its exhibitions examined how the core ideas of science fiction, such as aliens and other worlds, are used as a mirror to reflect on ourselves and our society.
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Artifact - Jimi Hendrix's Mixing Console
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Oral History - Al Hendrix
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Exhibition - 'Strats, Studios and the Seattle Sound'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Experience Music Project Launches With Weekend of Concert Festivities
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Sound Lab' Inspires Visitors to Find Their Inner Musician
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Launch of Sound Off!
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Pop Conference Engages Music Community
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our First Traveling Exhibition - 'Artist to Icon: Early Photographs of Elvis, Dylan, and the Beatles'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Yes Yes Y'all' Documents Hip-Hop's First Decade
For contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation to MoPOP today!