The Museum of Pop Culture’s mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
20 Years of MoPOP: The Residency Provides Youth Development Through Hip Hop
To celebrate 20 years of the Museum of Pop Culture, we're highlighting 20 of the most notable moments from MoPOP's history. For our nonprofit museum's 15th milestone (see the first 14 milestones at the bottom of this blog!), we're putting the focus on The Residency youth hip hop program!
2014: Launched in 2014 and partnering with Arts Corps and Grammy Award-winning duo Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, MoPOP began offering a four-week, summer intensive hip-hop artist residency with participants from underserved communities focusing on creative songwriting, performance techniques, and beat production.
This year, The Residency program moved to an online workshop format and was supplemented by a handful of open-to-the-public virtual events. The Residency Presents: The Town, embedded below, was a roundtable discussion featuring luminaries from Seattle's music scene, highlighting some of the city's most well-known and respected artists, several of which have ties to The Residency as well as MoPOP's Sound Off! program, an annual showcase of premier 21-and-under talent from around the Pacific Northwest.
To learn more about The Residency, head to TheResidencySeattle.org
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Artifact - Jimi Hendrix's Mixing Console
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Oral History - Al Hendrix
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our Very First Exhibition - 'Strats, Studios and the Seattle Sound'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Experience Music Project Launches With Weekend of Concert Festivities
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Sound Lab' Inspires Visitors to Find Their Inner Musician
- 20 Years of MoPOP: The Launch of Sound Off!
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Pop Conference Engages Music Community
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Our First Traveling Exhibition - 'Artist to Icon: Early Photographs of Elvis, Dylan, and the Beatles'
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Yes Yes Y'all' Documents Hip-Hop's First Decade
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame Launches
- 20 Years of MoPOP: Youth Advisory Board Influences Teen Programming
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Founders Award' Benefit Event Celebrates Game-Changing Artists
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Nirvana: Taking Punk to the Masses' Exhibition Launches in 2011
- 20 Years of MoPOP: 'Can't Look Away: The Lure of Horror Film' Signals First Foray Outside Music + Sci-Fi
Learn more about The Residency + for contests, the latest news, and behind-the-scenes content, be sure to follow us on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
If you like what you see, support our work by making a donation or planning a visit to MoPOP today!