BODY OF WORK: TATTOO CULTURE
THIS EXHIBITION IS CLOSED
Now closed as of May 31, 2021, Body of Work: Tattoo Culture explores the rich history and modern artistry of tattooing as a dynamic, ever-evolving artform whose mainstream acceptance has been driven by popular culture.
Through large-scale infographics, historical and contemporary photographs, interviews, short films, and interactive experiences, the exhibition highlights tattooing across North America, serving to demystify the process and de-other the culture.
Body of Work: Tattoo Culture also features large-scale, original works of art created by tattoo artists based in the Northwest. The artists selected for the exhibition demonstrate the wide range of styles possible in tattoo art, and to show the diversity and inclusivity of tattoo practitioners and the people who get tattoos.
Featuring tattoos from:
@aaron_bell | @dustinburtart | @coryboersma_art | @localboytatau | @lollipoptattoos | @thesarakay | @nateleslietattoo | @alenachun | @onholliday | @lizard__milk | @la__tigresse__
Body of Work: Tattoo Culture Exhibition Highlights
- Exploration of the history and development of tattoos and associated culture, with an emphasis on North American history
- Images that explore the wide variety of tattoo styles, including American traditional, blackwork, and watercolor
- Focus on indigenous tattoo work
- Tattoos submitted by artists and tattoo recipients
- Study of tattoos as an art form, and how pop culture has mainstreamed tattoos and broadened their acceptability
- Exploration of the process of tattooing
Sign up to be among the first to hear about museum updates!