Science Fiction + Fantasy Gallery Illuminator Volunteer
Volunteer Program Staff
Must commit to a minimum of one shift every two weeks, one shift weekly is preferred. Shifts are 10:00am–1:00pm and 1:00pm–4:00pm. In addition there is a 4:00pm–7:00pm shift during the summer months. Shifts are available every day of the week and weekend shifts are needed most.
Trainings will review gallery content and MoPOP mission, history, and important policies.
Spaceships, androids, mythical creatures, and bone-chilling cinema—as a Science Fiction + Fantasy Gallery Illuminator, you’re a part of bringing it all to life.
Help visitors explore vast and varied universes by rotating between the Infinite Worlds of Science Fiction, Fantasy: Worlds of Myth and Magic, Scared to Death: The Thrill of Horror Film, and MARVEL: Universe of Super Heroes exhibits at MoPOP. Through conversation with guests and interactive support, Gallery Illuminators deepen the guest experience and help them to unlock their own creative potential. This is an excellent volunteer position for any fan of science fiction and fantasy that will enjoy sharing their enthusiasm with the public.
QUALITIES NEEDED IN ILLUMINATORS
- Strong communication skills and comfort with public speaking in group settings
- Welcoming personality and enthusiasm for working with museum’s diverse visitors
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is a plus
- Comfortable with crowds and dimly lit spaces
- Enthusiasm for science fiction, fantasy, horror, and pop culture generally
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
- Able to commit to at least six months and to volunteer a minimum of two shifts a month
- 16+ years old, and we are happy to support high school service hours
- Successfully complete a criminal background check and reference check
Complete the online MoPOP Volunteer Application. If you have any questions, please email volunteers@MoPOP.org or call 206-770-2750. Please contact us to request a paper application.