DECONSTRUCTING LITTLE RICHARD
Thursday, July 16, 2020
4pm PT / 7pm ET
Forever Young: Popular Music and Youth Across the Ages.
Pop Con 2020 in conjunction with The Apollo Theater Education Program Presents Deconstructing Little Richard A free online teach-in event about the originator, emancipator and architect of rock 'n' roll.
Little Richard, who passed away in May, helped pioneer rock music in the 1950s, riding high on gospel-influenced musicianship and black queer fabulosity. Throughout his seven-decade career, he confronted industry exploitation and racism, and he transformed gender expression in popular culture. Join musicians, scholars, DJs and writers for a free online discussion event about the self-appointed originator, emancipator, and architect of Rock ‘n Roll.
Ian Isiah, recording artist
Nona Hendryx, singer, songwriter, producer
Alisha Lola Jones, assistant professor, Indiana University Bloomington
Jason King, professor, musician, New York University
Uri McMillan, associate professor, UCLA
Madison Moore, artist-scholar, assistant professor, Virginia Commonwealth University
Tavia Nyong’o, professor, Yale University
Zandria Robinson, associate professor, Georgetown University
Friday, July 17, 2020
7pm PT / 10pm ET
It's Coming From Inside The House! presents Tremors.
Rated PG-13 • 96 mins • Directed by Ron Underwood • 1990
Natives of a small isolated town defend themselves against strange underground creatures which are killing them one by one.
- Pre-film introduction with Robert Rutherford, MoPOP's Manager of Public Engagement, and special guest, Kelly Sue DeConnick.
- Cheap-as-heck quarantine cosplay — Here’s some graboid inspiration
- Cocktails, mocktails, and beer pairing recommendations.
- Chat with the host and guest and other fans during the film.
- Post-film discussion on the film's enduring influence on the genre and why it deserves a spot on our list 100+ Horror Films to See Before You Die.