It's Coming from Inside the House!, MoPOP's horror film watchalong series, is expanding our list of 100 Horror Films To See Before You Die. We're going to be working with our horror community to dig back into the list, see what we missed, and how we can start the work of updating the list every year to include the best that the horror genre has wrought from the depths of darkness.
Each watchalong we'll have a new guest pick a film to watch that they feel deserves a spot on the list as it expands, and they'll join us to make the case for its inclusion.
It's Coming from Inside the House! Presents
Friday, October 23, 2020
7pm PT / 10pm ET
Rated R • 101 mins • Directed by Antonia Bird • 1999
In a remote military outpost in the 19th century, Captain John Boyd and his regiment embark on a rescue mission which takes a dark turn when they are ambushed by a sadistic cannibal.
This month, MoPOP’s Robert Rutherford and Movies at MoPOP Producer Kasi Gaarenstroom are joined by special guest Seth Wolfson, owner and creator of Hourglass Escapes, home of the world’s only officially licensed Evil Dead 2 escape room. Seth chose this month’s selection, Ravenous, a film that is nearly impossible to describe to those who haven’t seen it — an odd but incredibly effective mash-up of cannibals, the supernatural, gallows humor, and scene-chomping performances by Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle, all of it set to a banjo-heavy score by Damon Albarn of Gorillaz fame. Sound crazy? It is!
Here are a handful of program elements that you can expect to see:
- Pre-film introduction with MoPOP’s Robert Rutherford and Kasi Gaarenstroom with special guest Seth Wolfson from Hourglass Escapes.
- Cheap-as-heck quarantine cosplay - here’s some inspiration for how to get your own raw meat to feast upon!
- Cocktails and mocktail recommendations:
- Cocktail pairing – Muster up the courage to charge into The Last Frontier with this tequila cocktail.
- Mocktail pairing – Fake booze, fake blood too, but the color and the citrus pop of this Blood Orange Mocktail Mule will have you craving more.
- Chat with the Robert, Kasi, Seth and other fans during the film
- Post-film discussion on why Ravenous deserves a spot on our list of 100+ Horror Films to See Before You Die.
If you happen to own a copy of the film, get it queued up at 7 p.m. PT on Friday, October 23rd! Otherwise, here's where you can find Ravenous online:
“Coming of age.” What a diplomatic term for such an indelicate experience! For all it’s warts, adolescence is a time of incredible self-exploration, pain, and growth. And nothing captures it more poetically (and grotesquely) than a coming-of-age movie. For our next film series, “Grow Up!” MoPOP is exploring adolescence in all its lusty, zitty, complicated glory. Starting September 6, we’ll be screening cult classics from all over the genre map that show just how joyful and confounding being a teenager can be.
Saturday, November 7, 2020
The Virgin Suicides
Saturday, December 17, 2020
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Saturday, December 20, 2020