Visitor Services Representative
Visitor Services Leadership Team
Does not supervise others
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
Visitor Services Representative (VSR hereafter) is expected to promote a positive visitor experience while applying museum procedures and ensuring visitors’ first and last impression are memorable. The role is responsible for daily operations with a thorough working knowledge of the facilities, exhibitions, and activities. This person plays a key role in welcoming all visitors and maintaining visitor materials. VSRs are cross-trained and responsible for ticket sales, group orientation, tours, supporting other departments, as well as providing back up for Box Office.
This is a temporary full-time position expected, but not guaranteed, to last through the summer high visitation period.
Essential Job Duties (other duties as assigned)
- Provide excellent visitor service by engaging with guests in an open, friendly, and safe manner.
- Ensure a consistent high standard of guest experience for all people interactions, including visitors, employees, members, donors etc.
- Provide feedback about operations to Visitor Services Leadership Team.
- Assist peers with questions and challenges.
- Have a thorough understanding of MoPOP; its products, programs, memberships, and exhibitions.
- Communicate and advocate the museum’s programs.
- Proficiently understand and utilize Point of Sale Systems and demonstrate appropriate cash handling techniques and procedures.
- Ability to handle all forms of transactions - cash, vouchers, third-party tickets, and vouchers such as CityPass, groups and all others with high accuracy.
- Provide training for new and existing employees.
- Comply with department policies and institutions safety, health, and security programs.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Ensure museum exhibits are presentable for visitors by conducting regular walk-throughs.
- Assist with signage placements as assigned by leadership team.
- Actively support all departmental goals including sales program initiatives.
- Actively follow POS data collecting procedures and working together with Visitor Services team to meet sales goals.
- Presents themselves in a respectful manner to visitors and other personnel including attitude, punctuality, and work ethic.
- Ticketing training and resource guide updates.
- Other duties as assigned by Visitor Services Leadership Team.
- Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
- Contribute to a consistent guest service standard across all departments.
- Work to ensure guest service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and team members.
- Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a dynamic range of people.
- Ability to assume high levels of responsibility, handle stress, stay organized, focused, and even-tempered.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational abilities and able to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
- Candidates must have at least 2 years of customer service and cash-handling experience.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; to include evening and weekends.
- Intermittent computer skills especially in Excel, Word, Power Point, and ticketing system program.
- Strong interest in the popular culture topics presented at Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), including but not limited to music, film, television, and digital media. Musical instrument knowledge is a plus.
This temporary full-time position includes Medical/Vision insurance, Dental insurance, Vacation, Sick, Company Holidays, EAP, and transportation benefits.
Please email jobs@MoPOP.org if you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or hiring process.