Vice President, Marketing, Communications + Digital Media
Vice President, Marketing, Communications + Digital Media
Chief Executive Officer
Marketing + Communications
5 to 7 team members
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
MoPOP is seeking an innovative Vice President, Marketing, Communications + Digital Media to join the Museum at a critical and exciting time in the institution’s journey reaching and engaging audiences. The VP plays a keen role in codifying and elevating MoPOP’s marketing, communications and public relations, and digital engagement strategy to deepen the museum’s brand awareness, fidelity, and loyalty. They are an experienced connector who leverages data, market trends, and deeply understands how audiences engage across a multi-channel approach. The VP, Marketing, Communications + Digital Media will partner closely with CEO, Michele Y. Smith to amplify diverse identities, experiences, and their impact in popular culture. They will be a core member of MoPOP’s leadership team to dream innovative and iterative campaigns to strengthen the Museum’s reach in Seattle and beyond.
Essential Job Duties (other duties as assigned)
- Deepen the organization’s brand and build meaningful relationships between MoPOP and its diverse audiences, seeking to consistently elevate ethical storytelling and a broad look at pop culture’s more impactful artists.
- Develop the organization’s overall marketing and communications strategy that leverages community artists, audience engagement data, and effectiveness of past MoPOP campaigns, exhibit launches, and advertising spend.
- Understand and share the story of MoPOP’s history and its future trajectory as an organization dedicated to making creative expression a life‐changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.
- In collaboration with the Email Marketing Automation Manager and Sr. Manager of Brand Strategy create personas, segment and clarify audiences, and chart customer pathways utilizing CRM constituent data and local market trends.
- Directly supervise staff, ensuring internal and external collaboration are in alignment with departmental and organizational objectives.
- Lead and manage the Marketing, Communications + Digital teams with functions user experience, advertising, community engagement, public relations, brand marketing, social marketing, graphic design, and video production while providing mentorship, coaching, and skills development to a layered team.
- Develop and implement overall branding strategy for the organization, both internally and externally, including promotion, organizational identity, advertising materials, strategic partnerships, special events, etc.
- Develop an internal and external communication plan, and all-staff communication calendar and schedule with the key stakeholders, from People + Culture, and the CEO.
- Develop and implement comprehensive marketing plan and strategy on an annual basis, including key goals, measurable objectives and application of data and analysis.
- Drive email marketing automation campaigns to build personalized and customized communication and increase engagement.
- Develop engaging owned media leveraging the MoPOP website, blog, and social media channels.
- Build and cultivate relationships externally with other organizations, and coordinate internally with other departments to promote MoPOP, its goals and programs. Work to leverage MoPOP exhibitions, special events, education, and public programming, etc. for publicity opportunities.
- Establish credibility throughout the organization as an effective listener and problem-solver for diverse people.
- Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
- Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
- Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department and throughout the organization.
- A minimum of 12 years of progressively responsible and demonstrated management experience in strategic communications, brand marketing, and multi-channel digital engagement.
- At least 5 years of experience as a people manager of a layered team.
- Proven success developing and executing creative campaigns, marketing plans, with demonstrated success in strengthening brand awareness,
- Proven ability to develop and implement comprehensive long and short-term strategic plans, including concepts, programs, timelines, and budgets.
- Strong understanding of digital advertising including SEO/SEM, Display, Retargeting, Social, YouTube.
- Strong understanding of email communication platforms and strategies.
- Comprehensive understanding of how to utilize database segmentation lists in email marketing.
- Expertise in Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, A/B testing skills.
- Must be a strategic thinker, data-driven and can evaluate effectiveness to improve engagement and conversions.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to handle multiple deadlines on a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Proven relationship development and management skills (media, community, business partners, etc.).
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to effectively implement strategic plans and provide tactical management in a dynamic and continuously evolving work environment with a diverse team.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively as a member of an executive team essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external client groups.
- Must be detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
This regular full-time position includes Medical/Vision insurance, Dental insurance, Life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 4.62 hours of accrued Vacation per bi-weekly pay period, Seattle Sick/Safe, 2-7 Floating Holidays dependent on hire date, 8 Company Holidays paid throughout the year, EAP, 401k plan with vested match schedule once eligible, and subsidized transportation benefits for Orca Pass or parking.
Please email jobs@MoPOP.org if you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or hiring process.