LIVE from inside the museum, it’s MoPOP!
Through discussions and activities led by our museum educators, students will explore museum content and collaborate on curriculum-linked activities, all in real time.
Review our current workshops below and look for new livestream opportunities throughout the year.
The Hero's Journey
Embark on a hero’s journey using pop culture examples like Black Panther, Moana, and more!
- Examine common character types found in heroic stories using artifacts from MoPOP’s Fantasy: Worlds of Myth and Magic exhibition
- Identify the three stages of the hero’s journey (Departure, Initiation, and Return) and use them to analyze stories and other pop culture examples
- Apply these concepts to create your own story inspired by images
- Extension Activity: Following your livestream workshop, use our postcard extension activity to visually identify the three stages of your own hero’s journey story
Building New Worlds: Sci-Fi Story Builder
How do sci-fi stories like WALL-E allow us to explore big issues and problems we face today
- Explore how science fiction stories are inspired by and based on real-world characters and problems
- Identify three common elements that science-fiction stories use to pose key questions
- Discuss how sci-fi stories use utopias and dystopias to establish settings
- Work together to create our own original sci-fi story with characters inspired by artifacts in MoPOP’s Infinite Worlds of Science Fiction exhibition
- Extension Activity: Following your livestream workshop, apply what you’ve learned to identify your own “what if” question, create your characters, and begin writing your own sci-fi story
Cli-Fi: How Sci-Fi Fights Climate Change
Investigate how science fiction can help us understand and address climate change in this livestream class!
- Learn the basics of Earth’s climate and the proven causes of climate change and global warming
- Discover how science fiction helps us explore the real future impacts of global warming
- Understand that science fiction creators rely on real technology to imagine future worlds
- Investigate how science-fiction technology inspires modern climate solutions
- Use MoPOP science-fiction artifacts to inspire technological solutions to climate crises
- Extension Activity: Take a closer look at how your actions contribute to climate change and design a solution! Calculate your carbon footprint, research current climate technology, and apply your research to design a device to help reduce global
Architecture Tour: Inside Frank Gehry’s MoPOP
Explore one of Seattle’s most unusual buildings in this livestream architecture workshop!
- Learn about the art and science of designing buildings by examining architecture as a form of visual art
- Explore common design elements used by Frank Gehry (MoPOP’s architect)
- Identify the science and engineering required to create our unusual building
- Take a virtual tour through MoPOP
- Extension Activity: MoPOP’s design was inspired by music…what will inspire your museum? Identify colors, textures, shapes, and iconic elements as you design a museum inspired by your own interests.
This Machine Kills Fascists
Based on Woody Guthrie’s iconic activist slogan, “This Machine Kills Fascists” this class is a study of what creative people do when they experience injustice and an exploration of the “machines” we all can use to make a difference.
- Dive into the creative work of three modern day activists and examine the tools they use to inspire change.
- Students will use a personal journal to reflect on the issues that are important to them.
- Begin a customized plan to participate in meaningful activist work.
- Extension Activity: Following your livestream workshop, your students will take a deeper look at their own pop culture interests and analyze how they can be used to enhance their own activist project.
Due to COVID-19, we’re offering special rates to make our livestream workshops more accessible.
Livestream workshops must be paid in advance at least two weeks ahead of the scheduled workshop. We prefer payment by credit card or purchase order (electronic PO preferred).
Regular Rate: $75
K–12 Schools: $25
Title I Schools: $15
Sign up your whole grade (minimum 4 classes) and receive a 10% discount!
Booking and Logistics
- Our educators can join your remote classroom platform or host you and your students on our Zoom account
- Livestream workshops serve a maximum of 30 students per session
- Our livestream workshops include 60 minutes of content. They may be scheduled as a single 60-minute class or split into shorter sections of 20-30 minutes each over multiple days.
- Workshops are available Monday-Friday starting at 9:00AM
- All workshops include extension activities that you can use on your own after the program.
- For more information, email us at Education@MoPOP.org or submit the inquiry form below.