Manager of Security Services
Director of Facilities and Museum Operations
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
Under the direction of the Director of Facilities and Museum Operations, the Manager of Security Services is responsible for a comprehensive, multi-site museum protection program for people, objects, and the facility. This role will develop goals, policies, and procedures for the security team, in collaboration with other internal departments and external agencies. The Manager of Security Services oversees all security staff including Security Supervisors, and security officers. They are responsible for the overall security of MoPOP visitors and staff and recommend appropriate security actions as needed. This role is primarily Tuesday – Saturday with flexibility needed to be able to support a 24-7 operation. It is expected that one day has an early start and one day has a late start to overlap with all 3 shifts on a weekly basis.
Essential Job Duties (other duties as assigned)
- Responsible for the overall security of both visitors and staff at MoPOP, demonstrate proficient knowledge of building safety codes.
- Oversee security department employee recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and offboarding.
- Manage the daily activities of security staff including scheduling, goal setting, reviews, performance coaching, and improvement plans.
- Prepare the annual security department business plan and budget, and responsible for labor strategies, budget compliance, and expense tracking.
- Manage security-focused external contractors and contracts.
- In collaboration with the Director of Facilities and Museum Operations, the Senior Manager of Visitor Services, and the Director of People + Culture, determine and facilitate best practices for both security and visitor services teams.
- Collaborate to update museum emergency crisis action plan and emergency communication strategies as needed.
- Recommend and oversee global security initiatives including coordinating with city, state, and federal law enforcement agencies.
- Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
- Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff and Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
- Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
- Keen demonstration of experiences in the security field with experience managing and leading a large, layered, and multi-shift team.
- Excellent, proven leadership skills.
- Prior experience in crowd control, event security planning, and execution.
- Knowledge of general security procedures including, but not limited to personal security, shadow security, perimeter security, event security, CCTV systems and their operation, and fire and burglar alarm systems and their operation.
- Experience with assessing, updating, and implementing new departmental strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Experience with emergency management and threat management.
- A high level of experience in instructional training in a variety of subject matters.
- Ability to mentor and build new systems for a diverse group of individuals from various backgrounds, genders, faiths, ages, cultures, sexual orientations, ideologies, abilities, and more.
- Excellent communication skills required.
- Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal groups and external clients.
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills and proven ability to multi-task in a high-volume environment while developing systems to efficiently manage workload.
- Able to assume high levels of responsibility and maintain confidentiality.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package which will be shared during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact jobs@MoPOP.org.