Exhibit Fabricator (Temporary Contingent)
Manager, Exhibit Services
Curatorial (Exhibit Services)
Does not supervise staff
The fabricator is a craftsman who builds prototypes and artifact mounts and installs new exhibits, including traveling exhibits, for the museum. Skills include fabrication in woods, plastics, and some metals. Fabricator will also purchase materials, tools, and other goods, as well as perform cabinetry, carpentry, or mechanical work as required.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED)
- Build cases, walls, platforms, furniture, and scenic pieces for new exhibits and prototypes, as well as mounts for artifacts in exhibitions.
- Install new exhibitions in the museum’s galleries.
- Maintain high safety standards in the exhibit shop.
- Perform other cabinetry work, carpentry, or mechanical work as may be required.
- Assist in routing maintenance of exhibits as required.
- Assist building maintenance crew when needed and performing other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under multiple deadlines.
- This position requires the employee to occasionally lift 40 to 70 pounds.
- A minimum of three to five years of extensive experience in cabinetry and metal fabrication.
- Welding abilities (stainless steel, mild steel, and aluminum) and machining a plus.
- Experience in exhibit production, blueprint reading, mechanical fabrication and repair, and minor electrical and electronic installations.
- Ability to purchase and maintain materials and equipment as needed.
- Knowledge of OSHA and other regulations in a cabinet shop environment.
- Ability to drive a forklift and use material-handling equipment (MoPOP will train and certify)
- Ability to occasionally lift 40 to 70 pounds.
- Ability to understand detailed verbal and written directions/instructions.
- Ability to work independently with strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external client groups.
- Must be detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills in order to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a dynamic range of people.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work may require long periods of sustained standing during exhibit installation and strike. Position may require travel to multiple work sites. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 70 pounds.
Apply For This Position »