Director, Information Technology
Vice President, Finance
4 to 6 Staff Members
$140,000 - $155,000
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
MoPOP is seeking a thoughtful and dynamic Director, Information Technology (IT) to join our team! The Director is responsible for developing and executing multi-year business technology innovation + continuity strategy to strengthen and elevate business functions. Reporting to the Vice President, Finance, the Director, IT manages a team of subject matter experts in providing timely and innovative solutions to issues facing the workplace from cloud-based CRM integration to optimizing our department specific tools (HRIS, Budgeting software, etc). The Director thinks globally about technology’s impact to business operations and integrates accessibility, user experience, and inclusive interface are central to the team’s actions. The Director, IT serves as a member of MoPOP’s senior leadership working to guide the organization towards shared goals and accountabilities.
Essential Job Duties (other duties as assigned)
Business Innovation + Infrastructure
- Conduct an organization-wide technology audit, partnering with team leadership and system owners to evaluate the efficacy and impact to the business.
- Create a multi-year systems innovation plan to prioritize and optimize business unit’s technology needs, setting a standard operating procedure for conducting vendor engagement and selection.
- Serve on senior leadership team and partner with executive leadership to align IT projects and initiatives with organizational priorities and goals.
- Provide leadership to IT Operations including budget, staff, hiring, development, and retention.
- Review proposals and requests from internal stakeholders to determine goals, time frames, funding frameworks, and procedures for accomplishing projects, including staffing requirements and allotment of resources.
- Prepare project status reports and keep management, stakeholders, and key personnel informed of project status and related issues.
IT Support + Business Continuity
- Provide leadership and coaching to Manager, Systems Innovation, Business Development Specialist, and Backend Web Administrator.
- Develop proactive continuity plans to ensure the standard operating procedures can be executed with little to no major interruptions.
- Plan and direct hardware and software purchases to sustainably support staff and ongoing operations.
- Recommend, plan, and manage custom software development and enterprise software deployments.
- Manage vendor and consultant relationships, negotiate contracts and services, and provide project oversight and management to ensure effective use of outside resources.
- Create and execute risk management strategies for ensuring information security, compliance with all necessary standards, backups of business-critical information, and business continuity.
- Direct and coordinate activities of IT personnel to ensure projects and initiatives progress on schedule and within budget.
- Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
- Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
- Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
- Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
- Demonstrated success in the information technology field with increasing levels of responsibility managing complex systems with multiple public and internal facing touchpoints.
- At least 5-years managing and growing a layered team with multiple subject matter experts.
- Multiple years of experience with virtualization and cloud-based services.
- Successful optimization of business technology impacting multiple segments of the business (customer, internal, member-facing products + systems).
- Ability to train and communicate internal groups on effective systems usage, setting internal standard practices to utilization.
- Demonstrated experiences in risk mitigation + management, data security, and business continuity planning.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external client groups.
- Must be detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a dynamic range of people.
This regular full-time position includes Medical/Vision insurance, Dental insurance, Life/AD&D/LTD insurance, 3.08 hours of accrued Vacation per bi-weekly pay period, Seattle Sick/Safe, 2-7 Floating Holidays dependent on hire date, 8 Company Holidays paid throughout the year, EAP, 401k plan with vested match schedule once eligible, and subsidized transportation benefits for Orca Pass or parking.
Please email jobs@MoPOP.org if you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or hiring process.