Senior Manager, Communication + Brand
Marketing + Sales
Does not supervise staff
56k – 60k
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
MoPOP’s versatile, quick-witted writer will craft compelling copy for a variety of marketing needs, bringing the organization’s mission and personality to life through written language. As an integral member of the Marketing team, the Copywriter will produce and edit content for a range of channels and assets including: print/digital advertising and other marketing materials; brochures; annual reports; email newsletters; webpages; social media; the MoPOP blog; mobile applications; fundraising solicitations; internal communications, and more. The job may require drafting a pithy tweet on current pop culture events one minute, then pivoting to a factsheet on our education programs for donor stewardship the next.
The Copywriter needs to be a skilled team player who can work cooperatively across the organization and handle a fast-paced, dynamic atmosphere. Given the content of our museum, a fluency in pop culture is indispensable, as is a light and approachable writing style. In reviewing the organization’s printed work, a fastidious eye for detail is essential.
Of course, a good Copywriter does more than write words. They use words to inform, educate, and — most importantly — compel action. The ideal candidate will have experience using copy to attract interest and influence behavior, be it buying a ticket, making a donation, purchasing a t-shirt, or signing up for a mailing list.
Job Functions (other duties assigned)
- Write and edit copy for marketing assets (print and digital), communication collateral, newsletters, social media, web assets, and more.
- Understand diverse audiences and produce targeted copy that speaks to them.
- Present and sell creative strategies/concepts while integrating feedback from stakeholders.
- Understand project objectives and guide stakeholders on effective written execution, collaborating with designers, the production team, marketing managers, and other colleagues.
- Follow creative process guidelines and track work with project management tool.
- Manage and train others on the integration of MoPOP’s brand personality in all written communications, internally and externally.
- Serve as a brand steward to ensure copy standards are deployed properly across all touchpoints and coach fellow staff on proper style.
- Integrate lessons from data and analytics into design work.
- Multitask and juggle multiple projects with various objectives, timelines, and creative.
- Develop, manage, and adhere to editorial standards to drive brand consistency.
- Identify and stay current with communication and pop culture trends and infuse them into your work.
- Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
- Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
- Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the Marketing + Sales team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
- Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts marketing and advertising, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the Marketing + Sales Department.
- 3+ years of experience writing and editing copy, preferably in a marketing role.
- Experience writing copy for digital advertising and marketing collateral (print and digital), including newsletters and web content, as well as social media.
- Ability to take a concept and translate into lively but concise copy.
- Ability to pick up an established brand voice and apply it across channels.
- Ability to seamlessly manage diverse projects simultaneously.
- Experience managing a variety of stakeholders, personality types, and communication styles, with diplomacy and effectiveness.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to work autonomously.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Impeccable spelling and grammar.
- Familiarity with AP Style preferred.
- Being a fan of all things pop-culture preferred (we’d love to hear about your passions!).
- To be considered for this role, you must submit an online portfolio or PDF of your work.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package that we will share during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact HR@MoPOP.org.