Building Tour Guide Volunteer
Volunteer Program Staff
Must commit to a minimum of one tour shift every two weeks, one shift weekly is preferred. Tours are currently scheduled for 11:00 am and 12:30 pm daily.
Successfully complete required trainings on September 25, October 2, October 9, and October 23 (all 6 – 8 pm).
When world-renowned architect Frank O. Gehry designed the building, he was inspired to create a structure that evoked the rock ‘n’ roll experience without being too literal. He purchased several electric guitars, sliced them into pieces, and used them as structural elements for an early model design. Visitors can still see the influence of the instrument in the museum’s wildly undulating, brightly colored façade. Since opening in 2000, guest interest in MoPOP’s unique building has not waned.
Building Tour Guide volunteers share more about the design process and the building’s unique features while revealing untold stories. This is an excellent volunteer position for any fan of design that enjoys sharing their enthusiasm with the public.
- Greet, welcome, and lead 45-minute MoPOP building tours
- Stay up to date on current MoPOP exhibits, programming, and general information
- Inform guests of rules as needed
- Provide superior customer service
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong communication skills and comfort with public speaking in group settings
- Welcoming personality and enthusiasm for working with museum’s diverse visitors
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is a plus
- Comfortable with crowds and dimly lit spaces
- Enthusiasm for pop culture and MoPOP
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
- Able to commit to at least six-months and to volunteer a minimum of two shifts a month
- 18+ years old
- Successfully complete a criminal background check and reference check
Complete the online MoPOP Volunteer Application. If you have any questions, please email volunteers@MoPOP.org or call 206-770-2750. Please contact us to request a paper application.