Volunteer Position - Sound Lab
Passionate about pop culture? We want you.
SOUND LAB VOLUNTEER (UNPAID)
Volunteer Program Staff
Must commit to a minimum of one shift every two weeks, one shift weekly is preferred. Shifts are 10:00am–1:00pm and 1:00pm–4:00pm. In addition there is a 4:00pm–7:00pm shift during the summer months. Shifts are available every day of the week.
Training will be provided
MoPOP Sound Lab volunteers enhance museum visitors’ experience by providing support within the popular Sound Lab interactive. Sound Lab is an interactive space within MoPOP that encourages visitors to experiment with musical equipment and leave with knowledge on how to perform with a variety of instruments, including: guitar, keys, bass, drums, and sound mixing stations. MoPOP provides the tools, visitors bring the creative spark!
Sound Lab volunteers have the opportunity to learn more about the technology within Sound Lab, and to share this musical knowledge with the diverse visiting population of MoPOP.
- Act as a gallery host and welcome guests to Sound Lab
- Assist guests with interactives and provide additional musical expertise to the interactives
- Troubleshoot minor technical issues that may arise
- Report lost and found items to staff
- Assist with museum visitor rule enforcement
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong communication skills and comfort with guest interaction
- Welcoming personality and enthusiasm for working with museum’s diverse visitors
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is a plus
- Comfortable with crowds and dimly lit spaces
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
- Musician with a background in rock instruments a plus
- Able to commit to at least six months and to volunteer a minimum of two shifts a month
- 16+ years old, and we are happy to support high school service hours
- Successfully complete a criminal background check and reference check