Collections Intern – Science Fiction (Unpaid)
Passionate about pop culture? We want you.
COLLECTIONS INTERN – SCIENCE FICTION (UNPAID)
Katherine Hughes, Registrar
POSITION START DATE
January, 2017 (or sooner)
10-weeks, though this is a scalable project and the intern may elect to extend to a 2nd quarter
9-12 hours a week
Jack Gaughan was a preeminent science fiction and fantasy illustrator. In 2014 his entire professional archive was gifted to the Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) by his estate. Included in the gift were 90 sketchbooks that span Gaughan’s entire career. MoPOP is seeking an intern to photograph the sketchbooks and create a finding aid for each book. This is a scalable project and ideally the intern would complete 3-6 sketchbooks during the course of the internship.
- Digitally photograph each page of the sketchbook
- Name, crop, and upload each image to designated folder on the MoPOP server
- Work with MoPOP curators to create finding aid for each sketchbook
- Other duties as assigned
- This is an excellent opportunity to work with a small, focused collection that spans one artist’s entire career
- The intern will gain experience in artifact handling, digital photography, and finding aid creation
- Current college or graduate student ideally pursuing Library Science coursework or career
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the mission of the MoPOP—passion for science fiction and fantasy literature a plus!
- Comfortable working independently
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, a self-starter
- Proficiency using MS Office Suite
- Ability to think creatively and come up with resourceful ideas and solutions
- Ability to commit to 9-12 hours a week preferred; with some flexibility regarding terms and hours
Email a cover letter and resume to internships@MoPOP.org with the title "Collections Internship – Science Fiction"
MoPOP is a leading-edge nonprofit museum, dedicated to the ideas and risk-taking that fuel contemporary popular culture. With its roots in rock 'n' roll, MoPOP serves as a gateway museum, reaching multigenerational audiences through our collections, exhibitions, and educational programs, using interactive technologies to engage and empower our visitors. At MoPOP, artists, audiences and ideas converge, bringing understanding, interpretation, and scholarship to the popular culture of our time.