Gallery Illuminator Volunteer
Volunteer Program Staff
Must commit to a minimum of one shift every two weeks, one shift weekly is preferred. Shifts are 10:00am–1:00pm and 1:00pm–4:00pm. In addition there is a 4:00pm–7:00pm shift during the summer months. Shifts are available every day of the week and weekend shifts are needed most.
Trainings review gallery content and MoPOP mission, history, and important policies.
Gallery Illuminator Volunteers help visitors explore vast and varied universes by rotating between the Infinite Worlds of Science Fiction, Fantasy: Worlds of Myth + Magic, and featured exhibits." They act as gallery hosts by welcoming visitors, assisting with technology issues, providing directions, and conversing on exhibit content. Upon additional training, Illuminators also facilitate gallery educational carts that deepen the guest experience.
- Greet, welcome, and engage guests by rotating throughout Infinite Worlds of Science Fiction, Fantasy: Worlds of Myth and Magic, and featured galleries
- Demonstrate how to use interactives and report technical issues to staff
- Stay up to date on current MoPOP exhibits, programming, and general information
- Inform guests of rules as needed
- Provide superior customer service
- Upon additional training, facilitate PopStop (gallery interpretive cart)
- Other duties as assigned
- Outgoing and friendly disposition
- Strong communication skills and comfort with public speaking in group settings
- Welcoming personality and enthusiasm for working with museum’s diverse visitors
- Fluency in languages in addition to English is a plus
- Comfortable with crowds and dimly lit spaces
- Enthusiasm for science fiction, fantasy, and pop culture generally
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner with regards to personal appearance and hygiene
- 18+ years old
- Able to commit to at least six months and to volunteer a minimum of two shifts a month
- Successfully complete a criminal background check and reference check
Complete the online MoPOP Volunteer Application. If you have any questions, please email volunteers@MoPOP.org or call 206-770-2750. Please contact us to request a paper application.