Sr. Communications Manager
Director of Marketing
MoPOP’s Sr. Communications Manager serves a key role in developing and executing strategic public relations and corporate communications programs in support of the museum’s brand and organizational goals. This role is responsible for increasing awareness and driving revenue through the creation of comprehensive communications strategies designed to reach key audiences, including consumers, cultural partners, donors, and the creative community on a local, regional, and national level. This role will also be hands-on in providing quality control for programs and exhibition communications, social media activations, and special events. The Sr. Communications Manager reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED)
- Lead all Public Relations and Corporate Communications programs supporting MoPOP’s brand positioning and business needs (e.g. exhibition premieres, press briefings, press announcements, executive interviews, speaking opportunities).
- Develop internal communication strategies and tactics to build awareness and buzz about museum initiatives and team projects.
- Craft scripting and messaging in support of program and exhibition positioning, fundraising, and overall MoPOP brand.
- Manage logistics for special press events and stunts in support of exhibition premieres, program launches, and other initiatives, and responsible for resulting media coverage.
- Draft corporate communications materials for external and internal stakeholders, including Q&A documents, talking points/scripts, messaging platforms, interview briefs, corporate statements and announcements.
- Maintain media contacts database and update regularly.
- Conducts media training with museum experts and serves as spokesperson as needed.
- Ensures consistency in brand voice through all communications and marketing platforms.
- Manages and implements public-facing announcement calendar for major exhibitions and key events.
- Ensures integration of all communications platforms for major announcements and museum updates.
- Manage compelling materials for press kits, stunts, special events and other PR initiatives, including museum press releases, photography and positioning statements.
- Manage logistics for all press interviews, onsite visits, and coordination with talent.
- Monitors media coverage of the museum to ensure strategy and messaging are aligned, and flag any potential issues.
- Leads crisis communications process and response.
- Oversees analytics reporting on media coverage including digital, print, and broadcast.
- Manages assigned budget; negotiates contracts, and supporting agency relationship.
- 8+ years of direct corporate communications or public relations experience, preferably with cultural or arts organizations, entertainment and media, start-ups, or within campaign and/or agency environments.
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing, building and executing public relations campaigns that align with business objectives, target diverse audiences, and drive significant measurable results.
- Established relationships with journalists, analysts and influencers with extensive media relations, and campaign creation and execution experience.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously with accurate and timely results.
- Strong understanding of media, and relationships with key members of the press.
- Strong social media skills.
- Excellent creative writing skills.
- Managerial experience with team-oriented approach to leading and achieving results.
- Self-starter, who is also highly collaborative and a strategic thinker with creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-oriented department. Ability to work under pressure.
- Highly organized and clear communicator.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for your work and commitment to continuing to develop skills and grow.
- Entrepreneurial spirit & drive
Requires occasional work on weekends, on-call, early mornings and evenings to support special events, media requests or other urgent matters.
Apply For This Position »