Manager of Event Operations
Director of Facilities + Museum Operations
Event Operations staff
72,000 – 75,000
We’re really glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
The Manager of Event Operations provides strategic operational expertise on event execution, staff utilization and resource optimization for MoPOP events. Effectively manages all aspects of operations for institutionally driven programming and external clients to create high quality events at MoPOP. Maintains an institutional standard for guest experience and level of service. Builds consistent pathways for interdepartmental communication and collaboration, and spearheads project management of high-level productions. This includes collaboration and coordination with staff, partners, vendors, and other constituencies to ensure successful execution of all events. This role manages and/or supports all activities planned, with various levels of complexity. This is a high-volume environment where work productivity, efficiency, and effective communication skills are a must.
This position also serves as a consultant to departments hosting events or other activations representing MoPOP.
Essential Job Functions (other duties assigned)
- Manage and oversee event operations staff; assign duties and responsibilities; collaborate on goal setting; assess staff performance.
- Develop Event Operation department’s budget and business plan and manage to key performance metrics.
- Assess and implement process improvement opportunities to enhance the workflow and eliminate redundancies around events.
- Manage successful event coordination through the supervision of all responsibilities relevant to event production for both internal and external clients.
- Facilitate data collection related to events. Review event reporting documents and institutional best practices to improve business decision-making across the organization.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) on operational functions in the venue with specific emphasis on building a consistent guest experience that represents the MoPOP brand.
- Demonstrate flexibility, creative thinking, problem solving, and fiscal responsibility in decision making.
- Participate and/or conduct planning, client, staff, post-event, and operational meetings, to ensure professional coordination of event production and activities for all programs and departments.
- Participate in site visits and ongoing communication with upcoming clients to develop planning that most closely meets the needs of the contracted event.
- Coordinate with internal departments and clients to prioritize questions, concerns and/or resolve operations issues to insure smooth execution of all events.
- Serve as a liaison to exclusive catering and restaurant partner for operational standards and creative F&B deployment.
- Serve as a primary system administrator for Event Pro event management software system.
- Use ReQlogic cost approval system effectively for tracking event expenses
- Represent MoPOP at industry events, with partner and sponsor relationship building
- Establish high quality of service and execution standards when working with the public, clients, and staff.
- Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
- Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
- Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
- Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in event planning, coordination, and production, preferably in the arts, entertainment, or hospitality fields.
- A minimum of five years of experience in administrative, operational, or project management.
- World class project management skills, understanding of project/program management principals, methods, and techniques and experience with enterprise project management tools.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule as determined by business volume.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external client groups.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and manage a professional staff in a collaborative team environment.
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to handle stress and stay organized, focused, and customer service oriented when faced with multiple deadlines.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package that we will share during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact HR@MoPOP.org.