Business Development Manager
Sr. Manager, Sales
Sales + Service
Does not supervise staff
72k – 76k
We’re glad you’re thinking about joining the team at MoPOP! We believe pop culture is a universal language capable of building connections across a range of people, no matter our differences in race, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, ability, education, socio-economic status, ethnicity, country of origin, or any other characteristic that makes us who we are. For more than twenty years, we have been showcasing how music, film, fashion, video games, sports, and more spark those connections and create a lasting cultural impact.
MoPOP provides both a physical space and an emotional and intellectual opportunity for people from any background to explore, find and build community, and recognize their own creative potential. This applies not only to our guests, but also to our staff — be it in designing an educational program to engage the next generation of creators, trying to reach a new audience with a marketing initiative, preserving an artifact in our collection, or providing excellent customer service to a visitor. If this sounds like something you’d be into, we’d love to hear from you!
MoPOP’s Mission and Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility
Our mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities. A nonprofit grounded in five core values — open arms, creative exchanges, light bulb moments, pursuing excellence, and excitement — MoPOP is actively committed to ongoing learning in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA). In partnership with our community, we hope to also develop safe spaces for their application. This includes taking steps to continue increasing our awareness of institutional “-isms,” as well as uncovering and undoing the ways they show up in museum culture. We recognize this is a process that requires intentionality, energy, and resources, and we are developing a DEIA framework that can cultivate a work environment and museum experience that is truly welcoming for all.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables us to better meet our mission and encourage BIPOC, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals to apply. We acknowledge that our work to build safe spaces and better systems for traditionally marginalized groups is ongoing and will require constant vigilance and expect all MoPOP employees to be part of our DEIA journey.
The Business Development Manager’s focus is on generating revenue through the development of corporate sponsorships and memberships and securing new business opportunities to drive incremental revenue for MoPOP. This role will work in partnership with the Curatorial, Marketing, Education and Programs teams to understand and promote the breadth of MoPOP’s ever changing offerings. The Business Development Manager is responsible for pipeline development, outreach, discovery meetings, custom asset and proposal development, program coordination, and relationship management. This position is intended to be strategically driven to consider both the needs of MoPOP and its partners and find mission aligned solutions that delight all parties. The person in this role should also understand how to build the customer funnel from Corporate Members to top tier partners. This role is a great fit for anyone who wants to never be bored and embrace each day being different than the day before.
Essential Job Functions (other duties assigned):
- Develop a year-round partnership strategy, to include:
- Identification of potential corporate sponsors and members, cultivation of relationships, development of proposals, and negotiation of partnership agreements.
- Generation of new, creative partnership assets and programs in collaboration with the Curatorial, Marketing, Education, Programs, and Finance teams.
- Support of the Advancement team by securing partnerships including those specific to our annual fundraiser, Founders Award.
- Management and regular reporting on a pipeline of prospects.
- Development of strategies to ensure the effective fulfillment of partnership benefits and direct management of the fulfillment process.
- Onboarding of new partners and effective stewardship of current relationships, creation and presentation of ROI-centered recaps.
- Creation of annual activation trackers (table for deliverables.
- Focus on both short-term and long-term revenue goals.
- Support MoPOP’s Traveling Exhibits program as needed by facilitating relationships, responding to inquiries, and developing and delivering proposals.
- Assist leadership with events and activities that may occur after hours.
- Collaborate with the marketing team on inventory of shared marketing assets.
- Support our internal culture which inspires and empowers our staff to live our mission to its highest standards.
- Provide excellent care and quality service to all partners and prospects.
- Contribute to a consistent customer service standard across all departments.
- Work in harmony with team members and those from other departments and act as a liaison of MoPOP to a cross-organizational sales team.
- Work to ensure customer service is ingrained at the core of the team and is reflected outward to our guests and other staff.
- Commitment to participating in anti-racism work, learning about the ways institutional racism impacts the workplace, and supporting teammates in operationalizing DEIA strategies in the department.
- 3-5 years prior sponsorship/sales experience required.
- Have a passion for getting others excited about contemporary pop culture.
- A background in the museum or cultural institution space is a plus.
- Self-starter that is comfortable jumping in and finding solutions.
- Driven by personal success and growth.
- Experience with pipeline management and forecasting.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent customer services skills.
- Ability to solve problems quickly.
- Effective organizational skills, outstanding interpersonal skills, and ability to interface at all levels.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while organizing work and achieving excellent results on schedule.
- Comfortable with networking opportunities.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Experience with Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, Tessitura, or similar CRM preferred.
This full-time position includes a generous benefits package that we will share during the hiring process.
Reasonable accommodations may be made during the application or hiring process upon request, please contact HR@MoPOP.org.