MoPOP seeks a collections intern to work on an unprocessed archive of Pacific Northwest music photography from the 1990s. The collection includes photographs, negatives, and scrapbooks. The intern will be trained on artifact cataloging, as well as the collections database TMS (The Museum System), with a focus on learning collections management best practices. The project will include flat photography, photo editing, scanning and describing the archive to increase accessibility to the materials.
Additionally, as a member of the collections team, the practicum student may also assist with artifact rehousing, condition reporting, loan management observation and other core collections duties as opportunities arise.
Reports To: Collections Department
Position Start Date: October 2019
Position End Date: 10-weeks
Time Commitment: 3- 9 hours per week
- Cataloging of PNW music archive
- Flat photography of scrapbooks and transcription of material
Data entry with TMS database
General collections management support – artifact handling, rehousing, condition reporting as opportunities arise
Other duties as assigned
- This is an excellent opportunity to work within a small collections team responsible for 140,000+ artifacts
- The intern will gain experience in collections best practices
- Current college or graduate student ideally pursuing Museum Studies coursework or career
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the mission of MoPOP—passion for pop culture a plus!
- Comfortable working independently
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, a self-starter
- Proficiency using MS Office Suite
- Ability to think creatively and come up with resourceful ideas and solutions
- Ability to commit to 3-9 hours a week preferred; with some flexibility regarding terms and hours
To Apply: Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title “Collections Internship"
Museum of Pop Culture
The Mission of MoPOP is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.