The Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP) seeks an intern to help expand the museum’s current accessibility resources for guests with disabilities. The internship will focus on expanding resources for guests who are blind or have low vision. During the course of the internship, the intern will research peer resources, meet with staff from various departments, and develop large print exhibition guides and tactile experiences. Time permitting, they will also develop a system for distributing these resources to museum guests
At the internship’s conclusion, the intern will have made important contributions to the museum’s accessibility resources while gaining valuable communication, research, arts accessibility, and program development skills.
Reports Through: Brian Capozzoli, Volunteer Engagement Manager
Position Start Date: late March 2020
Position End Date: late June 2020
Time Commitment: 9-12 hours per week
Salary Range: $15.75 hourly
- Review museum’s existing accessibility resources
- Research other museum’s accessibility resources, with an emphasis on offerings for the blind and low vision community
- Work with staff to create additional resources including large print exhibit guides, and tactile experiences
- Other duties as assigned
- Strengthen written communication and interpersonal skills through diverse interactions with staff, volunteers, guests, and external partners
- Broaden knowledge of accessibility and the ways in which museums can serve specific populations through programs
- Demonstrate volunteer management, leadership, and program development skills
- Gain insight into the inner workings of MoPOP
- Current college or graduate student ideally pursuing a degree in Museology, Education, Non-Profit Administration, Occupation Therapy, or related field
- Demonstrated interest in working in arts accessibility
- Strong computer skills with attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Track record of working well in a team environment
- Courteous professional manner
*** Please include your resume and a cover letter ***
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential customer-service functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 30 pounds, and occasionally up to 50 pounds.
To Apply: Click Here
The Museum of Pop Culture's mission is to make creative expression a life-changing force by offering experiences that inspire and connect our communities.